This recipe serves 3-4 people
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups precooked rice
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- Half onion chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon jeera seeds (cumin)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 2 dried chillies (or desired limit)
- Half teaspoon turmeric powder
- Half teaspoon masala
- Curry leaves
- 2 Ground Garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon concentrated tamarind paste or 2 tablespoons whole tamarind soaked in half cup of water
- 1 cup water
2. Heat a pan on medium heat. Add the ghee then onions. Simmer until the onions are soft and slightly brown .
3. Add the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds. Add the dried chillies and garlic. Mix.
3. Add the turmeric powder and masala. Mix. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the tamarind.Add the water.Add salt. Stir then allow to simmer for 10 minutes until the tamarind forms a thick gravy.
NOTE: For this recipe I have used concentrated tamarind paste. If you are using block tamarind the soak the tamarind in warm water. Remove the seeds and mix until the tamarind is partly dissolved in the water.
5. Add the precooked rice. Mix the rice until combined with the sauce.
6. Serve warm with your favourite vegetable curry and carrot salad.