Five Minute Chocolate Cake in a Cup
This cake has several names - the 5 minute chocolate cake, cake in a mug or cake in a cup or sometimes the one minute cake due to its cooking time in a microwave. The original recipes use quantities for a large coffee mug and recommended that the cake mixture fill no more than 2/3 of the mug.
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons whisked egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- half teaspoon Vanilla essence
1. Apart from it's 1 minute cooking time, the method is one of the simplest - simply mix all ingredients in the cup you intend microwaving the cake in.
1. Although the recipe recommends mixing all ingredients in the same cup you intend cooking the cake-it is best to use the 'traditional method' of mixing the egg and sugar with the milk and oil-then combine the dry ingredients to form the cake batter. The first time I made this cake I mixed everything together-the result was inconsistent cake batter and a very unpleasant bottom layer of flour and egg-I recommend mixing ingredients in a separate bowl.
2. This recipe recommends' tablespoon of flour-it does not specify heaped or not-I used leveled spoons.
3. The cooking time indicates 2 minutes on high power - I used 1 minute 30 seconds using 700 watts power - this seemed to work quite well.
5 Minute Cake vs 30 Minute Cake?Though the recipe may be simple - I would rather take a little more time to bake a cake 'the old fashioned' way - rather than this express version, which although tastes good, tastes more like fudge pudding rather than a cake. It definitely makes for a good express desert idea not for a cake.
Low Carb Chocolate Cake in 2 Minutes
In case you are counting calories then try this Low carb Chocolate cake in a cup-similar to the Atkins Muffin in a Minute-except this recipe uses almond powder instead of wheat bran and sweetener instead of sugar and excludes oil. The original recipe can be found at www.genaw.com. My version of the cake is no longer low carb with the addition of the chocolate topping.
Tip: Cook in a microwave for 1-2 minutes-1 minute on high power. I cooked mine for 2 minutes on 700w.
The Low Carb 5 minute Cake tastes much more cake like than the recipe which uses flour. The almond flour gives the cake a much more crumby rather than pudding like texture of the first recipe.