Running out of recipe ideas for dinner? Try this easy meatloaf recipe – an adapted Mince Kebab Recipe topped with Amma’s Tomato Chutney. Meatloaf makes for a simple yet hearty meal. Essentially made with mince meat, the addition of bread crumbs, egg and milk account for it's loaf like texture. It can be bulked up with fiber by adding grated carrots and chopped herbs. Traditional recipes are topped with a tomato sauce glaze, I’ve opted for good old chutney.
Meatloaf can be served with a variety of vegetable sides and or salad. I've opted for braised Butternut and a green salad. It serves just as well in a meatloaf sandwich the day after...if there is any leftover!
Baking time: 80 minutes
Total time: 90 minutes
Yield: serves 6
Ingredients for Meatloaf
- 1 kg mince meat ( ground beef, lamb or pork)
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger and garlic
- 1 teaspoon garamasala
- 2 fresh green chillies chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 grated carrot
- Tomato Chutney
- See the Chutney Recipe
2. Start on the meatloaf. Prepare the onion, chillies and coriander. Chop fine.
2. Add the milk to the bread crumbs. Set aside. Beat the egg. Add to bread crumb mixture.
3. Combine mince meat with bread crumb mixture, and onions, coriander and chillies. Add grated carrot.
4. Add powdered spices and salt. Mix well to combine.
5. Spread the teaspoon of oil around a loaf pan then mould into the pan or simply mould the mince mixture into a loaf like form.
6. Place in the oven. Bake at 150 degrees Clesius for 50 minutes.
7. Remove from oven. Drain excess liquid from the loaf tin. Bake for another 15 minutes
8. Remove from oven.Top with Chutney. Place back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven. Allow to stand for 5 – 10 minutes before slicing the meatloaf.
9. Serve with sides of choice.