Poached Pears Recipe
Prep time: 5 hours
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 5 hours 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 750 ml dry red wine
- 3 star annaise
- 5 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 bay leaves
- zest of one orange
- 75g brown sugar
- 6 pears (peeled)
- sheet of baking paper (parchment paper).
1. Wash and peel the pears.
2. Place the wine in a pot. Allow to simmer then add the sugar. Mix until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Add the spices then add the pears.
4. Cut the baking paper to suite the size and shape of your pan. Make a 2cm diameter cut in the middle.
5. Place the parchment paper over the pears then cover the pan. Allow to simmer for 40 minutes. This may vary depending on the type of pears you use. Once the pears are soft then remove from stove.
5. Remove the baking paper then cover and leave to rest until needed. You can leave the pears to rest at least 5-6 hours before you intend serving this dessert. This should allow sufficient time for the pears to absorb the flavors of the liquid.
6. Poached pears are best served warm or at room temperature. They can be served with cream or ice cream or enjoyed plain.
How to Make Alcohol Free Poached Pears
If you would like to serve poached pears for the family then kid friendly poached pears would exclude wine. To make an alcohol free version replace the amount or wine with water. You can also add additional flavorings like essences or rose water to create different flavors.