Unlike regular tart pastry the pastry for milk tart does not have to be refrigerated and uses egg as a binding agent rather than ice water. The result is a less flaky tart pasty-one that is more like a biscuit.I have used whole wheat flour which accounts for the brown colour.
How to Make Tart Pastry for Milk Tart
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
This recipe is sufficient for a 20 cm diameter tart pan or four 5 cm diameter mini tart pans.
- 60g butter
- 60g sugar
- 1 egg
- 240g cake flour
1.Cream the butter and sugar then add the egg. Whisk until combined.
2. Add the salt and flour. Combine to form soft dough.
3. Roll flat then place into a tart dish. Milk Tart is usually made in a round dish. I have used mini tart pans.
4. Brush the pan lightly with oil to avoid sticking. Bake for 5 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius. After 5 minutes remove from oven place a piece of aluminum foil or parchment paper over the pastry then add pastry beads or use a similar substitute like dried beans. This will help keep the form of the pastry intact.
5. Bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove the pastry beads then bake for another 5 minutes.
6. Allow to cool. While the pastry is in the oven you can begin making the Milk Tart Filling.
Milk Tart Filling
- 400ml full cream milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 70g sugar
- 25g flour
- 20g corn flour (Maizena)
- 2 eggs (to be separated)
- Vanilla essence
- Cinnamon powder for topping
1. Add 300ml milk into a heavy based pan on medium heat. Add 50g sugar then add the butter. Mix then allow the butter to melt while you prepare the eggs.
2. Separate the eggs.
3. Whisk the eggs whites together with the remaining sugar.
4. Combine the egg yolk, flour, corn flour and the rest of the milk to form a smooth mixture. (Without lumps- use an egg beater or a hand mixer).
5. Remove the milk from the stove. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the milk then add the egg whites folding gently.
6.Return the pot to the stove- on low heat for 7-10 minutes-stirring until the milk tart filling has thickened.
7.Remove from stove then pour into the pastry shells. Once the filling has cooled-top with cinnamon.
8. Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours or overnight.
9. Serve as desired
|Milk Tart © 2011 l www.foodlikeammausedtomakeit.blogspot.com|