Unlike Potato Curry, Yellow Potato Curry is cooked using turmeric and fresh green chillies instead of chilli powder or masala. Amma's yellow potato curry contained shallots,dhania (Coriander) and mint. We usually had Yellow Potato Curry for lunch during our school holidays or for filling samoosa’s during the fasting period.Amma most often made this for Monday's school lunch. I loved yellow potato with Roti - Amma would 'save' a few roti from the day before for our school lunch - she was always thinking ahead. She used to often tell us that we should always think about the next day and not just live for the moment.
Amma’s Yellow Potato Curry Recipe
- Four medium sized potatoes peeled and cut into small pieces.
- Half a cup chopped shallots
- Half a cup chopped coriander
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
- Desired limit Green chillies (I have used 2 chillies)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. Heat the oil on medium heat. Add shallots and chillies. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the shallots have softened.
2. Add turmeric powder. Braise for 3 minutes on low heat.
3. Add the potatoes. Mix. Braise for 2 minutes. Add one cup of water. Add chopped mint and coriander. Add salt allow to cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. If not add more water and allow more cooking time until the water evaporated leaving a dry consistency.
4. Yellow Potato Curry is best served warm with soft roti or rice.