Unlike Braised Dhal, Dahl with Brinjal -made by Amma contained spices like star annaise, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, turmeric and masala.
To cook Dhal with Brinjal you will need Brinjal (Aubergine, eggplant - preferably the long type and pre-cooked Dahl. For this recipe I have used 2 Aubergines (this dish was intended to serve 8 people)
- 2 Aubergines sliced thin
- 2 cups Dhal (pre-cooked)
- 1 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger and garlic
- Half teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon masala
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star annaise
- 400 ml Water
- 2 tablespoons Oil or 1 level tablespoon Ghee
1. Heat pan. Add oil. I have used 1 tablespoon ghee for this recipe.
2. Fry the onions. Add Whole spices cardamom, cinnamon and star annaise. Fry until onions are brown.
4. Braise for 2 minutes then add Aubergine. Add 1 cup of water. Cook aubergine until semi soft. Add pre boiled Dahl.
5. Mix. Allow cook for 10-15minutes until the aubergines are soft.
6. Top with coriander. Serve warm.